Sunday, May 8, 2011

Increased terror threat...

With the killing of bin laden, there is an increased risk of terrorism. Since there is no way of knowing when or where something could occur, it is best to be prepared.

After 9/11, we still lived in a good sized city, I prepared a room in our home to act as a sort of safe room. It was windowless and in the basement. I stocked it with enough food and water for several days. Reinforced the door. I had plastic sheeting to cover the door and A/C vent. I installed a phone line and cable outlet, not that it would do anygood in a power outage, but it made me feel better anyway.

Being in the country now, my situation is different. I'm still prepared to sit tight for several days in the event of an emergency.

I posted a while back about running off of the top of your gas tank. In an increased risk of an act of terror that may be even more important. Just the ability to get somewhere other than where you are could save your life.

I'm not trying to scare anyone. I just want everyone to be safe and prepared. The chances are fairly slim of becoming a victim of a terrorist attack. But it happens to people all over the globe. We lost more than 3,000 people on 9/11. Because of the nature of the attacks, no amount of preparation would have saved the people in the twin towers. I would hope that an attack like that would be impossible to pull off again. 

Be safe, be prepared to save your own life and the lives of those who depend on you...