Sunday, March 20, 2011

Range Day 03-20-2011

It was too awesome this morning not to head out to the range. The sun was shining, about 50 degrees and not a bit of wind. I got out there a little after 9:00. I figured Big Mullet would be there, he wasn't but by the time I had my first targets set up he came pulling in the gate. He was out to help out with some maintenance stuff on the 500 yard range.

I started out shooting pistols. I fired the Smith & Wesson M&P .40 Compact and the Hi-Point C9 9mm. I haven't fired the Hi-Point C9 in a long time so I started with it. My first magazine was way left. A few adjustments later it was better but still not great. I didn't take enough 9mm ammo to get it sighted in perfect, but it will do for now.

I'm trying out some new stuff on the pistol shooting. A different grip and stance. I'm getting used to it, somewhat, and I can see the benefits, it's just going to take more practice.

Here is my target from the pistol shooting. Left side is Smith & Wesson, right side is Hi-Point...

After leaving the pistol range, I caught up with Big Mullet and we went to the 50 and 100 yard range to fire my Olympic Arms AR-15. I set up a couple of targets at 100 yards.

I'm not a big scope guy, but I'm kicking around getting one anyway. I've gotten to the point where I need glasses to see up close but can still see far away. If I wear the glasses shooting I can see the front sight post but I can't see the target. If I don't wear the glasses I can see the target but no the front sight post. What a mess. It makes for some interesting targets. I can get all my rounds on the paper, but my ability to make good groups isn't the same as it used to be. This is my first set of targets.


Here is my sweet spotting scope that My Bride got me for Christmas. I'm liking the heck out of it. It's as good as standing right in front of the target at 100 yards.


Here is the Olympic Arms AR-15, Barska Spotting Scope and Magpul PMag. Gotta pimp everybody that makes going to the range so much fun. Almost forgot, can't see them in this picture, but it wouldn't be the same without Birchwood Casey Shoot N C targets.


Here is the view from the shooting station. 50 yard and 100 yard targets.

Here are the four targets we shot at 100 yards. The top two and the bottom right are mine. Bottom left is what Big Mullet was shooting at.
This is a close up of Big Mullet's target. He was able to put together a couple of nice groups. This picture shows an outline of his last three rounds, all within an inch. Not bad at all...

The fourth round is the one at the bottom right corner of the black square and the fifth on of the lower two. He kind of pulled that last one.

All in all it was a good day of shooting. I think my membership at the range is going to be a good investment.