Friday, February 25, 2011

Taxes and Debt

Millions of honest hard working Americans are preparing their 2010 taxes. I started my taxes last weekend. I have always prepared my own taxes. I have this crazy notion that the average person should be able to prepare their own taxes. Crazy.

Anyway, I don't mind paying federal income taxes. We need good government services, mail, protection, strong defense, schools, etc. I do, however, hate paying taxes on my savings account. If you're lucky you might get 2 - 2.5% interest? I don't have a lot of money. I try to have no debt and believe planning for the future financially is important. Even the government wants us to have less debt and save more. It seems to me there is a disincentive to save. We get pitifully low interest rates and then they take 20 to 25% of the earnings. Why save?

Change gears: the federal debt on February 25, 2011 was $14,133,170,464,255.33. If you divide approximately 310,000,000 citizen's into this number it's about $45,576 for every man, women and child. I'm guessing illegal aliens aren't part of this number. The government adds about $4.11 billion per day in debt.

Since I can't wrap my mind around at number like $14 trillion, another way to look at it is the government borrows 40 cents on every dollar it spends. When you mail your taxes, 40% of the postal workers salary is borrowed, 40% of the clerk who processes passport applications is borrowed, 40% of your congressman and senator salaries is borrowed, 40% of the money to fund the war in Afghanistan is borrowed. Hey, I'm not picking on postal workers or clerks. That's not my point.

In my opinion this is not just obscene it is immoral. Where is the accountability? I freaking don't get it! What does the government do when it goes bankrupt? China? I'm curious of the 40% we borrow on every dollar spent, how much of that is loaned by China? I think Mandarin is the most spoken dialect. Maybe I will take a class or two. Just in case.

Enough of the whining. Next week I will have a profile on the firearm of the week. It will be cool.

Blessings yall, Big Mullet