Thursday, February 24, 2011

Crazy Times

This is my first blog contribution ever. I'm technologically challenged so have patience. I want to thank BillyBob and JoeTexan for giving me an opportunity to contribute. Thanks guys! Since we don't share the same level of conservatism; my editorial days maybe numbered. We do, however, share a passion for liberty and firearms.

I love collecting, shooting, disassembling and teaching others. BillyBob and I go to the range whenever we can. I can't shoot the critters but have huge respect for hunters.

We are experience some amazing times with respect to the mid-east and other Arab speaking countries. In just a few short weeks we have seen citizens rise up against their autocratic leadership. It seems the dominos are beginning to fall. If I were really good I would paste a map in this text. Instead, Google "maps of Arab speaking countries".

Virtually all of northern Africa is; Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya and Egypt are going through transition. Now include Iran, Bahrain and Yemen. I'm guessing Saudi Arabia may be shaking in their boots.

Why is this happening? These countries have had knuckleheaded power and money hungry autocrats running their countries for the last 30 to 50 years. These knuckleheads haven't done much to promote their citizens by providing jobs, housing and basic infrastructure. Places like Tunisia and Egypt have relatively well educated young people. They can't get jobs, they are disenfranchised and can't create a life for themselves and families and they are powerless to change their leadership. In some cases its the Shiites wanting power back from the Sunni's.

Why is this important to you? Dude, look at the map! This is where the oil is? I'm guessing our leadership is freaked about destabilization in this region. Our leadership has been supporting these autocrats for a long time. Assuming the uprisings are freedom or democratic based do you really think the new leadership of these countries will be US friendly?

Watch with great interest how this plays out over the next few months. I feel the pain already at the gas pump. I wish our leadership the very best of luck in finding a solution to manage this situation. A misstep now will be catastrophic.

I am excited for the possibility of gaining new freedoms in these countries. I am fearful our leadership may not get it right.

God bless, Big Mullet