Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Where Did All the Anti-War Protestors Go?

Marc Cote sent me a link to this article. As soon as I saw the headline I knew what the story would say. I don't think it is a big secret that the protestors were anti-Bush. At least it wasn't a secret to me. George W. Bush couldn't do anything right in the eyes of some people. As I have said here before, I was a supporter of George Bush, but when he made bad choices I was the first one to be all over him. Removing saddam hessein from power wasn't a bad decision. He was a thug and a terrorist. He supported terrorism in Israel with cold, hard cash. He had weapons of mass destruction and had plans to gain more.

And in the same spirit of support, if obama ever makes a good decision, I will be ready to praise him. I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

One thing that I was surprised by though, is the sheer LACK of volume of protestors after obama took office. For as much as Bush couldn't do anything right, obama can do no wrong. He escalates the war in Afghanistan and we hear nothing but crickets. He gets us involved in Libya and the anti-war crowd is silent. Could the double standard be any more telling?

But, the anti-war crowd is usually a peaceful lot, maybe they are just afraid obama will send the black panthers out with billy clubs to kick the shit out of them...

by John Stossel - FoxBusiness

The anti-war movement was all over the news before President Obama was elected. But apparently they weren’t really anti-war ... they were just anti-President Bush. Two college professors just released a study of national protests between 2007 and 2009. What did they find?
… After January 2007, the attendance at antiwar rallies [measured in] roughly the tens of thousands, or thousands, through the end of 2008.

… After the election of Barack Obama as president, the order of magnitude of antiwar protests dropped [...] Organizers were hard pressed to stage a rally with participation in the thousands, or even in the hundreds. For example, we counted exactly 107 participants at a Chicago rally on October 7, 2009.
Amazing. Especially because the war in Afghanistan ramped up after Obama was elected. American fatalities shot up in 2009 and 2010.

The protesters have remained silent over Libya.

And I’m struck by the hypocrisy of the supposedly “anti-war” politicians who voted against Iraq, like Nancy Pelosi. Since Obama was elected, she has voted to continue the war in Afghanistan … and supported the attack on Libya.

Only a handful of Congressmen have remained principled on foreign intervention. One of them is Ron Paul. On my FBN show this week, I’ll talk with him about why he opposes our “aggressive foreign policy.” Thursday at 10pm EST.